View Single Post
Old October 10 2012, 04:08 PM   #174
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

RAMA wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I never thought i'd see the day when fanboys would complain because a cool suit looks like someone else's cool suit...guys they couldn't even to these design/FX 10-15 years ago, so relax.

RAMA
Zombie Stan Winston is coming to shit in your heart.
The suit was bulkier and Weller hated it, the new suit looks much easier to move around in.
Looks can be deceiving, especially since it's, you know, a [i]prop[i] and not a functional robotic body.

All costumes, be there theatrical or motion picture, are designed first and foremost to look good. Ergonomics are secondary unless the suit puts the wearer in unnecessary harm. This is the reason that RDJ (and Welker) would wear as little of the suit as possible.

The only difference that time makes is what and how often they could get away with this; it's the difference between the motion-capture work for RDJ's limbs in IM/IM2/Avengers (see Samurai8472) and Weller having his legs hidden by the car doors in Robocop when he enters/exits the Taurus. Both films had and used full-body versions of the suits, but their use was determined by the requirements of the script.

In short, "modernity" is not an excuse for poor art design.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote