View Single Post
Old October 10 2012, 04:16 AM   #62
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: What If It All Went Nu?

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Romulus is still there. It's Vulcan that's gone. Vulcans have always been emotional. (Spock especially), there was a spark between Spock and Uhura back in TOS, I'll give you the last one. Though McCoy is the only person who seems to go from cadet to (Lt) Commander. But being a doctor its not unusual.

Why wouldn't people drive cars in the 23rd Century and why would they stop being rude? Rude wasn't unknown in TOS. One might find examples in almost every episode.
Sorry, it was Vulcan, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this movie.

I'll give Mccoy being promoted, because it can happen with medical students out of the academy.

Kirk and the others going from mid cadet to captain--which basically a Colonel, is a little too much to believe.
Kirk's the only one. Uhura graduated as a Lt. ( As did Kirk) and remains one. Sulu is a Lieutenant, but I don't think he was in the same class as Kirk. Chekov is an Ensign and might be part of a different class, as well. Scott is Lt. Commander and already on active duty as is Spock.

IIRC, Kirk was about to or already had graduated at the time of Nero's attack. Remember, he told Pike he'd get through the Academy in three years. The Kobayashi Maru test would seem to be for final year or command school cadets based on TWOK. So I don't think he was a "mid cadet".

Spock starts off emotional right off the bat, because he's involved in a pretty intense relationship with Uhura--and no explanation why, other than they're in a relationship.

I like it when Vulcan stay Vulcans and be logical. That's part of their mystique. Every once in a while, they can be emotional due to some crazy situation, but usually they're without emotion.

That's what made Spock interesting.

Given the idea that Vulcans are supposed to have no emotion, how many times do we see Tpal almost naked in a sexually situation, Tuvok nearly going crazy, and Vulcans doing illogical things..
Vulcans don't lack emotions they control them. Under various types of stress that control can and does slip. When Spock was younger ( The Cage, WNMHGB, parts of TOS season 1) his control wasn't as pronounced. ST09 happens around the time of the Cage in the Prime Universe.

Vulcans get interesting when their control is compromised and their logic is challenged. Spock's best episodes are about that.

With the car thing, TOS's Kirk was totally unfamiliar with automobiles--Trek frequently tried to show that vehicles didn't use wheels anymore.
How often did we see ground vehicles in Trek? Starships and spacestations don't really use them, so its unlikely they would show up. Shuttles and transporters are used to get from the surface to space, so who can say if everyday ground vehicles have wheels or not? Picard's dune buggy in NEM did, so they can't be unheard of.

Kirk's familiar.

A Piece of the Action wrote:
KIRK: Wheels, Mister Spock.
SPOCK: A fliwer, Captain.
KIRK: Key in the ignition. Turn the ignition on. And nothing happens. Where's the starter? There's the starter. Yes!
SPOCK: Interesting.
KIRK: (pushing the gear lever and making grinding noises) Oops! Gears.
SPOCK: Yes. Oh. I believe they had a device known as a clutch. Clutch, Captain. Perhaps one of those pedals on the floor.
KIRK: (puts it quietly into gear) I kind of like this. I'm going to get one myself.
(He lets up the clutch, and they go backwards. The car kangaroos elegantly down the street and somehow makes it to JoJo's place.)
SPOCK: Captain, you are an excellent starship commander, but as a taxi driver you leave much to be desired.
KIRK: It was that bad?
But not with the operation of an early 20th Century automobile. There might be a difference between a 1920s flivver and a 1960s Corvette. And the car was an antique, not a "modern" vehicle. People have been to to collect and keep things from previous centuries.

The rude thing--the way TNG and TOS saw it, humans talk their way out of conflicts, fighting is for savage people, and humans live in a near Utopian society.

I certainly agree that 24th century people can be just as rude as anyone, but they went on record as clearly distinguishing their behavior from 20th century humans for example.

IMO, Nu Trek is clearly a different Trek continuity from the other series. That's how they'll probably have to format it.
You need to stop conflating TOS with TNG. Kirk got into a fight in most episodes.(Usually saving the peace and love speech for the final act) He was often rude to people he didn't like. (bureaucrats mostly) Spock and McCoy were always sniping at each other.

Of course its a different continuity, that was the point.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote