Old October 9 2012, 10:03 PM   #1678
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

xortex wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Kegg wrote: View Post
^
But those multitudes don't see eye to eye. Not all fans of Gene Roddenberry are fans of Joss Whedon (who as far as vampire TV goes seems to have more Trek fans than any other vampire TV show guy).
True. People have different tastes and not everybody's an omnivore where sf/fantasy/horror is concerned. I was just objecting to the weird sort of hostility some sf-only fans seem to have toward vampires as such . . . as though they think that the supernatural stuff is somehow taking the place of their beloved space operas, and that sf somehow deserves to be on TV more than horror.

I mean, does anybody really think that if VAMPIRIE DIARIES or TRUE BLOOD hadn't been greenlighted, HBO or the CW would be airing space operas instead? Or is it more likely that cop shows and reality shows are taking up more time slots than the occassional tv spook show?

Look, I feel your pain. I wouldn't mind another FARSCAPE or FIREFLY either. But it almost seems like some fans are blaming the poor vamps and werewolves for the lack of "proper" sf, so that every time some new supernatural soap opera gets announced, the response around here always seems to be: "Damnit, creepies don't belong on TV, spaceships do!"

Can't we all just get along?
I think horror belongs with fantasy and sci-fi should be seperate at least on tv, just like I don't want to hear jazz or hip hop interspersed with classical music on the radio.
Not apt analogies. The lines between Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy have always been blurry. Frankenstein is a seminal work in Science Fiction and Horror. Alien is a Horror film in Science Fiction setting. Vampires, werewolves and other Horror staples are often seen in Fantasy stories.