View Single Post
Old October 9 2012, 07:35 PM   #48
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Does this superhero team exist?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^I'm not sure I'd count that, since Green Lantern isn't so much an individual secret identity as a job title, like firefighter or Starfleet officer. It may seem like a singular identity to human observers -- "the Green Lantern" as a specific person who passes the mantle down to another, like the Flash or Robin -- but that's not what it really is.

And I've never heard of the first five you mentioned, or the last one. Plus you left out Alan Scott; he's not technically a Corps member, but he's been retconned/grandfathered in.
I do think that Green Lantern counts if only because the intention was usually to have someone new assume the mantle. It was usually only retrospect that Hal Jordan was reinstated thus creating the problem of multiple Green Lanterns.

In terms of Legacies, only a few DC characters have ever had them

Batman: Bruce Wayne, Jean Paul Valley, Dick Grayson, Terry McGinnis (Tim Drake and Damian Wayne have also donned the cowl but usually in alternate futurues)

Wonder Woman: Hipolyta, Diana, Artemis, Donna Troy (Cassandra Sandsmark has worn the crown in an alternate future)

The Flash: Jay Garrick, Barry Allen, Wally West, Bart Allen

I think that Green Lantern, Starman and Blue Beetle are the only other characters with any sort of serious legacy.

There have been 3 Atoms, 2 Green Arrows, 2 Aqualads, 2 Fire Storms
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is online now   Reply With Quote