View Single Post
Old October 9 2012, 05:41 PM   #130
Captain Atkin
Commander

Re: Fan Film Writer's Primer

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Most fan films or stories seem to be obsessed with world building and details and minutiae instead of focussing on what's truly important. I just read a comment in the other thread I did about filmmaking, where I said that I think the space battle in TWOK is more effectively dramatically than the battle in Nemesis, but the other guy said that's bullshit because the battle in Nemesis has more tactics.

There's a big difference between making a story, a character, a scene work and only filling it up with details and backstory.
I don't think that the battle in Nemesis was bad at all. It just wasn't as memorable as the battle between Kirk and Khan (for a number of reasons). In Nemesis, we see the Enterprise going to battle against this giant ship that outguns her 10 to 1, and then we see two more Romulan ships (cannon fodder) join in the battle to help Picard out just in the nick of time. There is a lot of stuff happening on screen at the same time, which takes away some of the focus from the principal characters.

With Kirk VS Khan, it is two evenly matched ships going to battle with each other, in a deadly game of cat and mouse. It is more of a game of chess between two players, that the audience has an emotional connection too. Although the tactics shown in Nemesis are interesting, The Wrath of Khan wins hands down in terms of dramatic storytelling.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote