View Single Post
Old October 9 2012, 10:42 AM   #454
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm still waiting for the novel to arrive, but since I found out about a certain character's "change of posthumous status", my expectations have been lowered.
Very much so.

I was never a fan of the VOY TV series - I found the characters to be flat and one-dimensional compared to other Trek casts, and Janeway in particular seemed quite obnoxious IMO.

My feeling towards the novels at the time were very much a reflection of my feeling towards the TV series – The only VOY novels I really liked were Echoes and to a lesser degree Mosaic (The Janeway hero-worship irked me even then.. I get that she's a WOMAN! And a CAPTAIN!!... so she's the BEST!!!! )

In any case, I tried Christie Golden's VOY Relaunch novels, and found them to be utterly immature and basically written for the Teenage Girls audience (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not my cup of tea, to say the least). The entire cast / crew acted like unprofessional morons and the plotlines were horrendous IMO.

It should come as no surprise that Janeway's death in Before Dishonor didn’t disturb me. On the contrary – I was ready to get rid of this arrogant, know-it-all, wrongly promoted b***h . The Janeway fan backlash coupled with the arrival of new voices on the Trek Lit board demanding her return and threatening with boycott, seemed like a collection of childish tantrums, and the threads concerning Janeway were always good for a chuckle and an uncomfortable laugh.

And then came Full Circle.

On the heels of Destiny and A Singular Destiny, Kirsten Beyer managed to make me care about the characters for the first time ever, while crafting a fine plotline. The "one-two punch" of Full Circle and Unworthy actually made me a VOY reader and started this cast and "setting" / series in a great new direction. Yes, the characters were still a bit too "whiny" and "Soap Opera-ish" in my book, but it was actually compelling to read.

I'll read the novel (it's already on its way from Amazon.com, along with Brinkmanship and Fallen Gods) and form a complete opinion, but it sure seems like I'm done with VOY after this one.