Thread: Babylon 5 S2
View Single Post
Old October 8 2012, 04:35 AM   #26
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Season 1 does have it gems, and I would recommend to most folks to watch at least 10 selected episodes of season 1. I know for a fact if I was given the option of watching season 1 of TNG, Season 1 of Voyager, or season 1 of B5, I would Pick b5 as while the bad episodes are very bad, the top ten episodes of Season 1 of Babylon 5 are of good quality.

For example

Season 1 of TNG
1 Very good episode ("Conspiracy")
5 episodes that are ok ("The Last Outpost", "The Battle", "The Battle", "Home Soil", and "Symbiosis")

The rest of the episodes are bad.

Season 1 of Voyager

you have five ok episodes IMO (though to be fair, it had only a 16 episode season, and it been a while since I watched any voyager)

(Caretaker. "Phage", "Eye of the Needle", "Ex Post Facto", "Heroes and Demons")

Babylon 5 has in season 1

2 - excellent episodes ("And the Sky Full of Stars" and "Signs and Portents")
4 - very good epsiodes ("Mind War", "A Voice in the Wilderness", "Babylon Squared", "Chrysalis")
4 - ok episodes ("Midnight on the Firing Line", "Deathwalker", "Believers", "The Quality of Mercy")

DS9 had

1 - Amazing/epic episode ("Duet")
3 excellent episodes ("Emissary", "Captive Pursuit", "In the Hands of the Prophets")
3 ok episodes - "Past Prologue", "Progress", and "The Nagus")

Of course, the worse of Babylon 5 is so bad that it drags down the core of decent episodes down with it. I would say DS9 had the best first season out of the 4, if only due to the fact that Duet is one of the best Science fiction hours in TV.
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote