View Single Post
Old October 8 2012, 02:57 AM   #556
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

the G-man wrote: View Post
I never really worried too much about the physics of the shrinking process since I never saw Shrinking Man as a hard-science piece. It's like wondering where the Hulk gets his extra mass from or how the Invisible Man can see. The story is about the "what if? premise; the technobabble is just hand-waving to justify the central conceit. Or so I always saw it.
Ultimately, from what I understand of biology and physics, if someone were to nitpick the entire concept it quickly falls apart regardless of this point. As you say, the idea was to establish a "what if" scenario and then jump off from that. If Matheson had tried to be "realistic," the story simply wouldn't exist.
Right, which is why I said he should have stuck with "we don't know why or how it's happening". Less explanation, not more.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
(Full disclosure: I've been Matheson's editor for decades now, although Shrinking Man was bit before my time!)
Oh, cool. Well, tell him he's got a casual fan who's still creeped out by "Shipshape Home" 33 years after first reading it.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote