View Single Post
Old October 8 2012, 12:43 AM   #1662
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

^
But those multitudes don't see eye to eye. Not all fans of Gene Roddenberry are fans of Joss Whedon (who as far as vampire TV goes seems to have more Trek fans than any other vampire TV show guy).

Christopher wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
My point being that I'm not sure why the same fans who seem to think there can't be enough space operas on TV tend to roll their eyes at the prospect of another vampire show.
In my case, it's partly that for the past couple of decades there have been so many of the latter and so few of the former. I suppose if I actually counted them, there wouldn't be that much difference,
I don't know about actual numbers of programs, but say, back in the 1990s TV was definitely a much more friendly place for space opera. But back then I could expect two new episodes of Star Trek a week most weeks (Voyager on Monday and DS9 on Wednesday, as I recall, both on Sky One, which also was privy to lots of TNG reruns).

And were there really so many space opera TV shows before 'the past couple of decades'? Yeah, I know, before then there's the original Star Trek and Lost in Space, Space: 1999, Captain Video, and Battlestar Galactica, etc. but post then there's the other four Star Treks and Babylon 5, Farscape, Red Dwarf, Firefly, three Stargates, the new Battlestar Galactica and so on.

It just seems there was a wave of space opera TV in the wake of TNG, and arguably a lot of the very best examples of the genre came out during that period.

The issue for me really is:
Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
It's more the lack of space opera that's annoying than the vampire glut.
Basically. That wave of TV programming in the wake of TNG has long since dried up. With Caprica and Stargate: Universe petered out what was once a ubiquituous and defining part of my TV diet simply doesn't exist anymore.