View Single Post
Old October 7 2012, 11:33 PM   #1657
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
My point being that I'm not sure why the same fans who seem to think there can't be enough space operas on TV tend to roll their eyes at the prospect of another vampire show.
In my case, it's partly that for the past couple of decades there have been so many of the latter and so few of the former. I suppose if I actually counted them, there wouldn't be that much difference, but it seems to be far, far easier to get a vampire show on the air than a starship show. Just in general, my tastes run more toward SF than fantasy or horror, yet the tastes of TV audiences and programmers in general tend to run the other way.

Besides, I don't think it's really a fair comparison. Vampires are just one thing, one category of character or trope. Undead, bloodsucking, evil and/or tortured, just a few variations on a pretty repetitive pattern. Shows that are initially about vampires tend to need to broaden their focus in order to generate enough stories; Buffy the Vampire Slayer got to the point where the vampire slaying was a sidebar to battling demons and cyborgs and elder gods and so forth. But space opera is a far broader and more versatile genre. It can encompass just about anything -- including the occasional vampire story. So it's not as easy to get bored with.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote