Thread: Audio books
View Single Post
Old October 7 2012, 11:22 PM   #20
NKemp3
Commodore

Re: Audio books

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
NKemp3 wrote: View Post
Of course it didn't help that ST audiobooks were mostly horrible. Abridged cliff notes that did a disservice to an author's intent to tell a story.
Totally disagree with you there, but I guess it's what you're looking for. I never expected a ST audiobook to give me the same experience as what I had just read. And I never felt the need to rehear the entire contents of the book I'd already read.

Most people don't listen to an audiobook after they read the book. They listen to an audiobook as an alternative (sometimes a preferred one) to reading the book itself. That's how it works for me.

[QUOTE}I guess that people who like/demand unabridged novels listen to them instead of actually reading them?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I bought them for new voice performances by the Star Trek actors I loved.
Having actors who play a character read a book to me is merely a gimmick. And I'm sure that it was a popular one when the audiobook industry first got up and running. But most people who are getting into audiobooks now do so because of convenience. It doesn't matter to us who the narrators are. Actually the professional narrators that Audible has in its stable are so good that you don't want anyone else doing the job.

"Most people"? I always assumed the move to longer and longer abridgments was due the commercial success of each new release, and then the advent of CD technology (and now downloads) improved the economic viability that eliminated the need/expense to make and store giant packages for the bulky plastic-and-tape audio cassettes.

That people now prefer, or can have, unabridged stories doesn't necessarily mean they "hated" the old, abridged stories.
Well, I'll throw it back at you the way you did with your reasons for why ST audiobooks are rare to find these days: if abridged audiobooks were so popular then why are they far more rare now? From all I have seen no one wants to get 1/4 a story or 1/10 a story or 1/20 a story. If you are going to commit to an audiobook you want the real deal. That's why when you go to Audible you'll see that hardly anyone is producing abridged versions of the books. I'm guessing this is strange to you because from your personal perspective you may have preferred a cliffnotes-like version of the audiobooks you were interested in. Maybe this is because you have been part of the demographic that was turned off by the idea of an entire book being "read" to you. I get that. The audiobook industry knows that it still has to face a perception that audiobooks are for grandmothers whose eyesight have failed them. What I'm trying to convey is that the attitude is changing and more folks who love books are going the audio route not because of poor eyes, but because of convenience and even enjoyment.

Last month I finsihed the audiobook of 1Q84. The total time of the audio presentation was over 43 hours! I hesitated purchasing it at first because I thought it would take me an eternity to finish that. In fact I put off of listening it for months after I brought it because of that same concern. But I finally committed to listening to it during my commutes to and from work, during my early morning inventory updates at the firm I work for and during a couple of my weekend jogs. I completed it in just under 3 weeks.