View Single Post
Old October 7 2012, 09:07 PM   #362
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SoM wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Blu-Ray. The international Blu-Ray spec includes 24p, so they don't change it (annoyingly, it doesn't include *25p* or 50i. The latter's basically UK-only, and I don't think there's a 25p spec at all. This leads to some badly smeared standards-converted Blu-Rays of UK material like Doctor Who to make them 24p so they only need one worldwide version...).

OTOH, a DVD release *would* be sped up.
Doctor Who is currently shot at 1920x1080/25 native. UK DW DVD's are therefore not sped up. I have to say, I think UK HD sets have a clear advantage over their "rest of the world" non-PAL counterparts in as much as they support 24/50/60 fps. AFAIK, most sets sold in say, the US, do not support PAL 50.
Yeah, it's shot (and broadcast on BBC1 HD/BBC HD) at 25p. But the Blu-Rays (*not* R2 DVDs, which are 576/50i) are converted to 24p because they only make one BR master for worldwide sales.
The only DW BD's I own are the UK "Complete Specials" box - and they are not encoded at 24fps. I've just analysed "Planet of the Dead" on my PC to confirm. It's encoded at 29.97 which of course makes it compatible with 60hz NTSC region displays.