View Single Post
Old October 7 2012, 08:01 PM   #19
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

I'm starting to like the idea of a gay alien atheist chaplain.

As to the question about Federation members refusing to serve on a ship without one? So what? My understanding is that Federation membership doesn't compel a planet to contribute to Starfleet's ranks... in fact, all indications are that Starfleet generally wants willing and highly competent individuals. AFAIK even during the Dominion War they never instituted a draft.

If the chaplain -did- have a form of spirituality that they ascribed to I can imagine crewmembers being quite put-off by the notion that that individual had the captain's ear in any capacity in which someone of their own spirituality did not.

I've gone to allegedly secular sleepaway camps that nevertheless had "optional" Chapel services and "non-denominational" Grace before meals and such...and I have to say I found it pretty uncomfortable. Even if you accept that they're not attempting to impose their beliefs on anyone, one has to wonder how they would have reacted if asked to make a more demonstrative effort to accommodate other belief systems.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote