View Single Post
Old October 7 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
stj
Rear Admiral

Re: James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars"

That premise in the new BattleStar Galactica came from the old BattleStar Galactica, not Hogan. Possibly Hogan got the idea from the old BattleStar Galactica but it could also have come from old short stories where a man and woman astronaut turned out to be Adam and Eve.

These are legendarily bad, and I can't quite recall personally reading any. I do seem to have some vague notion of a TV episode on something somewhere in antediluvian times (akak my youth.)

But their ill fame was so great that Alfred Bester wrote a very famous short story of his own titled something like "Adam with No Eve." A single astronaut returns to an Earth reduced to a cinder and laments as I recall that he can't live out one of those stories. The punch line is that his decaying body restores bacterial life to Earth, leading again to the process of evolution of multicellular life forms and eventually intelligence. Alfred Bester's SF floruit was the Fifties and Sixties! It was a return to writing when he published in the Seventies.

Trust me, Moore didn't have to read Hogan.