View Single Post
Old October 6 2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Audio books

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
My bad, I should have put "not made anymore."
It all depends on whether Simon & Schuster Audioworks has maintained a license for publishing "Star Trek" audios. I guess we find out if an unabridged CD set is released of the next movie's novelization. Did enough people support the last one? Did people see it at retail? (I didn't.)

How popular are the ST audios? Even in the late 80s and early 90s, my local bookshop might have imported 20-30 copies of each new novel, but only one or two copies of a simultaneously released audio. Three months later, general bookshops would get in five or so novels, but only ever one copy of an audio would appear on the audio spinner racks. Eventually, distribution became so unreliable Down Under, I'd just pre-order my ST audios from Amazon each time.

Certainly, it seems that, previously, S&S Audioworks had an exclusive license for abridged audios, but licensed unabridged novels were trickling out of Recorded Books (three "Vulcan's Soul" novels read by Richard Poe) and Chivers Sound Library/BBC Audiobooks America (their own unabridged versions of "Sarek" and "Nemesis", sold mainly to public libraries). All licenses might get negotiated separately now. According to John Ordover, S&S did not always own a licensing agreement for full-cast readings; there was an audio for the "Star Trek: Klingon" and "Star Trek: Borg" computer games but not Interplay's "Starfleet Academy" (it got a novelization, but not audio).

Audible Frontiers recently rereleased Chivers Sound Library's old unabridged "Sarek" (read by Nick Sullivan) as a download instead of S&S's abridged version (read by Mark Lenard).

Abridged audios in general seem quite rare in the marketplace these days. Possibly, there is no longer a longterm exclusive licensing agreement for audios, or perhaps other companies can seek a cooperative agreement, as in recent years with the Haynes technical manuals, Abrams' "365" books, Andrews McMeel's calendars, and now Universe Publishing's calendars.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote