Thread: GMO foods.
View Single Post
Old October 6 2012, 08:01 PM   #23
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: GMO foods.

I don't mind that GMO food exists, I just think it should be clearly labeled (same with irradiated food (I'll never buy milk off of a regular store shelf)). The ingredients section on packages/cartons should have an asterisk next to all of the GMO ingredients used as well. I prefer organic food, and I've been eating organic produce long enough now that I can taste the difference (or at least I could when I tried eating a non-organic banana last week).

The only time/thing I don't like about GMO food is when it's pushed off on people (and if it's not stated that's what the food is by poor labeling). If you watch Food, Inc., then you'll really not like how some American farmers are being pushed into using GMO soy for their crops. Unlike regular soy you can naturally replant each year, the GMO soy seed has to be sold to the farmers on a yearly basis (read: expensive) for them to have a crop and the farmers are watched like they are under CIA surveillance. It was interesting to watch. Of course you could say it's a movie with an agenda and just one side of the story (after all don't farmers get subsidies?), but it was an interesting side nonetheless.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote