View Single Post
Old October 5 2012, 08:51 PM   #58
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: First Presidential Debate

Whoa Nellie wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
Pretty sad what happened to Big Bird, though.

At 43, it looks like he's been threatened with facing some of the same challenges the rest of America is.
With the Sesame Workshop having earned about 1.5 billion (with a B) dollars in profit from merchandising, Big Bird is not hurting for money. This does not surprise anyone who has raised kids and has spent money on toys, clothes and other merchandise with the Sesame Street characters.

Edited to add: I noticed that a shopping link had been added to the words Sesame Street in my post. I'm not sure how long the link will be there but !
Oh, Nellie, I know. When I read about this part of the debate, I also read a Sesame Street spokeswoman's quotes, letting everybody know that Sesame Street doesn't get a penny of public funding for its show. She mentioned that they are funded through licensing, philanthropic donations, and something else I can't remember, but it wasn't merchandise (which I think falls under licensing). What was mentioned, at least in my reading, is that its the stations (especially the smaller rural ones) that are going to suffer and real people are going to have a hard time keeping their jobs if PBS loses its funding under Romney.

Like many, I was just using Big Bird to make a point.

(And with their cuddly toy success, I imagine parents will be fighting each other come this Black Friday for the last Soup-Kitchen-Big-Bird and Fire-Me-Elmo, in stores soon! )

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote