View Single Post
Old October 5 2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: My Hard Drive is About to Crash- What Should I Do?

Count Pony wrote: View Post
I know you're reluctant about buying any hardware but a USB stick (or even a mobile harddrive with an USB connection) is in my opinion the best way to back up lots of data quickly. Upload speeds to the net are usually pretty slow, even with high speed connections.
You can't do much wrong with a USB stick. It's basically a decision of how many Gigabytes you can get for your money.
Yeah, I agree with this. I don't know how cheap USB thumb drives are in Russia, but you can pick up something like a 16GB drive in the US for under $20 in a lot of cases. They are the fastest option, and relatively cheap (especially compared to buying a new drive right away.)

RandyS wrote: View Post
I don't know how reliable an online service would be, sounds like an excuse for some hacker to get access to your computer and GIVE you viruses to me, but an external hard drive really is your best bet. It's what I use, and it's remarkably easy. Plug it in, save your stuff, and you're done. I know you say your living situation makes that hard, but I'd trust that before I'd trust some online service. That just raises all kinds of red flags for me.
Your scaremongering is not necessary.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote