View Single Post
Old October 4 2012, 11:57 PM   #33
cylkoth
Commodore

Re: Primeval: Canada

Christopher wrote: View Post

Every show that SyFy acquires means one less original show that they might develop...
That's a false equivalency, because it's not a zero-sum game between those two. It's not like there's some fixed, finite number of slots for original programming; rather, they make as many original scripted dramas as they can afford to, while paying the bills for those shows by filling the rest of their schedule with cheaper, sadly more popular programming like wrestling and vaguely genre-themed reality shows and Z-grade monster movies. Imported shows from Canada or the UK fall into that latter category, the stuff that's cheaper to put on the air (since they don't have to pay for producing it) and helps them pay the bills.

So the imported dramas don't take the place of original scripted dramas; they take the place of more stupid reality shows and wrestling and Z movies. As I said, they're a way for the network to get more scripted programming onto their schedule within the constraints of their budget.
I wish I shared your optimism, but the cynical side of me agrees with Temis here. We've been spoiled by having as many as 4-6 Syfy originated, scripted hours on within a 12 month period (plus import Merlin) for the last several years. I just don't see Syfy continuing that scripted push as long as there are as many imported shows that they can acquire for less than making their own.

Reality is firmly entrenched on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Fridays has WWE occupying 2 hours, and Saturdays the grade Z movies rule so there won't be series introduced there. Thursdays have marathons or movies with Sundays reserved for higher profile films. That leaves Monday as the only viable night to launch a series. With Sanctuary canceled, there was no new scripted hour to take it's place. So Lost Girl, Sinbad and Continuum will very well reduce the network's drive to continue making originals at the pace they have over these last few years.
I simply don't see them trimming the number of hours devoted to reality, given how cheap it is to produce, and the ratings 'pop' they provide each quater.