View Single Post
Old October 4 2012, 08:37 PM   #56
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Looper - Grade, Review, Discuss, ect.

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
I disagree. I bet almost any amount of money that the idea of loopers and a guy meeting and having to kill himself was the core of the story that he came p with first, and all that other stuff padded out his scant screenplay.
Then you would be wrong, because the writer/director (Rian Johnson) comes out and says so:

With this one, it seemed, I feel, a little more… It’s there in the movie, and I think it’s probably… It’s not like it’s a complicated text. The themes are right there on the surface. But it has to do with—having said that, I’ll now just spew it on the table in a couple of malformed sentences—it has to do with violence, and the fundamental question of approaching the world’s problems by finding the right person and killing them, vs. by raising our children right, I guess. That’s what was on my mind when I started really developing it. Hopefully it gets to something.
Link

He also makes it clear that this was an independent film, and its contents were not dictated by a studio. He got to make the film he wanted, and he's pretty clear on what it's about.

Good thing you didn't bet any real money.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote