View Single Post
Old October 4 2012, 03:14 AM   #62
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Re: Is nuWho too complicated for newbies?

My 9 year old son started to get into Doctor Who last year. He would sit down while I was watching, quietly at first. Then he'd start to ask questions.

So we TiVo'd all of last season to watch again before the new season started (we've only watched Asylum of the Daleks). There's definitely a lot of pausing and trying to explain. It's challenging, because I don't always understand it.

But yet, he is a total fan now. He loves it, even if he doesn't always "get it". And I think that's very cool. Maybe it's okay to just go along for the ride sometimes?

To give you an idea of how much he has come to love the show, I was on a business trip recently. When I came home, he told me he had made something for me. Here it is:

The scan didn't come out great, but I think you get the idea. It's all there. You can see The Silence on the left, and the robot doctor on the right is saying "This is a kindness".

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote