View Single Post
Old October 3 2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four inspiration - Angry Red Planet?

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
Well I feel its a matter of people seeing Johnny and Ben and thinking "fire and earth" then trying to fit Reed and Sue in as water and air.
Yeah, people like Stan Friggin' Lee, who's talked at length about the creation of the FF several times.

Stretching doesn't quite equal water and invisibility doesn't quite equal air.
According to Stan "The Man," Reed's body was supposed to flow like water, which means in the original writer's terms stretching had nothing to do with it. And I don't know how you don't equate invisibility with air since air IS invisible, and Stan's idea was that air is able to move things invisibly, just like Susan does.

And as I mentioned in an earlier post, Ben's visual was supposed to invoke a scaly reptilian surface not rocks, so even that is off.
Yes, according to Jack Kirby, but also according to Jack Kirby he never drew it in a way that looked properly reptilian, so everybody else saw it as earth (early issues) and orange rocks (later issues), including the guy writing the damn comic.

Water, Air, Earth. Do you really need a detailed explanation as to why Johnny Storm isn't just "human torch 2.0?"

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote