View Single Post
Old October 3 2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Happy Unity Day!

horatio83 wrote: View Post
It is the old Stiglitz vs. Friedman issue which emerged after the fall of the Soviet Union, Friedman thought that you just have to create free markets and everything else will solve itself whereas Stiglitz pointed out that you first gotta establish the rules and the privatize.

I don't disagree, the nationalis sentiments on both sides were too large and the right was too opportunistic. But the left was right, a slower unification would have been better.
This plus my lack of patriotism and, as you pointed out, the typical grumpy German-ness is the reason I don't celebrate. A few years after the unification we had a pogrom in the East which was politically tolerated (slow down the police) and once again opportunistic politicians used these sentiments to enforce tougher laws on political asylum.

This is why I have my problems with following the mood of the public. It is not merely not standing in the tradition of the Enlightenment but also leading to catastrophes. I rather want politicians who have the balls to not be populist and do the right thing even though it is unpopular.
Yeah, but... this is a thread about celebrating an important day in modern German history, and from what I understand it's a generally happy occasion.

Why come in and be such a downer? It's like going into someone's thread about their birthday celebration and saying, "Yeah, but you'll be dead eventually. Think about that."
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote