View Single Post
Old October 2 2012, 10:52 PM   #62
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Insurrection as an episode...

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Which part of "kidnapping a people and rob them" is pragmatic and ethical?
One political entity forces its will upon another. Happened numerous times in history and the word for this is imperialism.

the kidnapping is the pragmatic part, the use of the resources for the general welfare is the ethical part.

And again, I agree that the way they were going to go about it was problematic. But remember, Dougherty ONLY proceeded that way because of the false assumption that the Baku were agrarian primitives. He should have immediately opened negotiations and changed strategy after discovering the truth from Picard. But then we go back to the "either the Baku say no and the audience loses sympathy or there's no movie" problem.

I mean really, Horatio83, what would you think of a movie where Picard is fighting on behalf of the Baku after they've openly refused to leave under any circumstances? What's the tagline?

"This November, Picard and co. fight on behalf of a small group of smug, selfish pacifists who refuse to either fight for their own homes or leave them to help anyone else!"

Oh, and I'm from the U.S. btw. And yes, warmongering is bad.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote