View Single Post
Old October 2 2012, 10:37 PM   #60
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Insurrection as an episode...

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Who were they going to share it with? Nobody seemed particularly inclined to go into the Briar Patch.

It's not their planet. It wasn't colonized by the federation. The Ba'ku never joined the federation.

So how are the Ba'ku subject to the power of an organization that they are not and never were members of?

IT'S. NOT. A. FEDERATION. PLANET.

The federation can't claim emanate domain on a sovereign planet. EMANATE DOMAIN DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

What is so hard to grasp about the fact that the Ba'ku aren't part of the federation?

I mean its not like Star Trek didn't go to the trouble of showing how planets become part of the federation or that if a sovereign planet says no the federation that they leave.

You're still caught up in the eminent domain analogy. It doesn't really matter whether they're technically a Federation planet at all.
So your supporting imperialism basically.

I'm supporting a pragmatic view of ethics that focuses on concrete good rather than a rigid adherence to abstract principles when that rigid adherence ends up doing more harm than good. I'm supporting the same view that Picard once argued for in episodes like "Justice" or "Journey's End."

If you want to call it "imperialism" because that sounds like a scary word to throw around, then call it that if you wish.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote