View Single Post
Old October 2 2012, 04:37 PM   #76
{ Emilia }
Rear Admiral

Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Christopher wrote: View Post
{ Mitt Romney } wrote: View Post
You're talking about a show whose premise is that some writer is following around actual cops for 4 years now. When I've suspended my disbelief enough to buy that I have no problem buying the cases mirroring their private lives.
It's just that this is something most shows these days tend to do, sometimes quite blatantly (there was even an episode of Fringe last season where Olivia actually mentioned that they kept getting cases that coincidentally resonated with what was going on with them personally and wondered if there was some deeper pattern behind it), so I'm growing weary of it in general.
I don't watch a lot of TV at all so it's possible that I'm just not as tired of the concept as you are.
No argument there, it's subjective for sure. I can relate to getting tired of overused narrative devices.

You could've stopped here.

TV/Writer Logic =/= Real Life
And that's too easy a copout. I'm a writer myself
You don't have to repeat that again and again. Believe it or not, we're aware of it by now. It doesn't increase your credibility or lend your argument more weight in this case. I've studied literature and I understand concepts of literature without being a published writer myself.

You'd do your points a favour if you focused on the actual argument instead of building up ego/reputation/credibility through profession-dropping.

; I understand suspension of disbelief. But it can too easily be an excuse for laziness or sloppiness, and it shouldn't be. The goal is to try to minimize the amount of belief the audience is required to suspend. It's called willing suspension of disbelief, after all, not mandatory suspension.
Yeah, that's the point. It's what I was trying to say in my earlier post when I said that the cases are just a backdrop. They're not of much importance to me and many other people who like Castle. Many people don't watch Castle for the procedural parts so we don't mind if they're just used to provide some more subtext, comic relief or related background to what actually matters to people like myself. So I am willing to suspend my disbelief.
Castle is both drama and comedy and both aspects are character-driven, not plot-driven.

I don't like cop shows, I love Castle.
{ Emilia } is offline   Reply With Quote