View Single Post
Old October 2 2012, 08:50 AM   #288
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
At least the jingoism has its heart in a better place than Freedom Fries which was just a vindictive take that at the French for not backing the invasion as we wanted.
Americans should just start calling them "chips" then, like us British who did back it.
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
You're not paying for it though are you, the license fee payer is.
Perhaps you should take it up with the BBC then. They think its a good expenditure of the money. Considering it raises the awareness of their franchise.

Doesn't the BBC get a cut of DVD sales of Doctor Who? Perhaps it's a wise investment of the license fee.
But the BBC should be making programmes aimed at the audience who pays for it, not for potential audiences elsewhere who don't fund it. If they could have saved money by not going on this vanity trip to New York and achieved the same result then that's what should have been done.
But this is something Who's done for many years. City of Death, Arc of Infinity, The Two Doctors, and let's remember the Two Doctors originally was going to be filmed in New Orleans, which given the show didn't have the kind of traction in the US it has now would have made that even more of a 'vanity trip' than this.

The BBC makes a lot of money from abroad, not only with Who but with Top Gear and Strictly amongst others, so I don't think it's a huge waste of money to film aborad on occasion, plus I don't think there was actually that much filming in New York, it seemed pretty small scale compared to something like Planet of the Dead in Dubai, which must have been huge by comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to see them film every episode abroad, I don't relish the idea of Who being Americanised, and the notion bandied about about New Zealand would be several steps too far for me, but I don't see it as a huge problem if it occasionally gives the show a boost aborad and provides a different look (which benefits us as well). Or they could hand back every cent anyone who isn't British spends on Who merchendise, and just keep using the Cardiff peace temple or whatever its called,and Bad Wolf bay (how many times have we seen each of those now, four/five/more?)

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote