View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 10:05 PM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: will star trek ever return to prime universe?

EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
EmperorTiberius wrote: View Post

What are you going to do, rejuvenate Shatner or Stewart? Or do you really want a bunch of kids playing them?.
Why not? Classic characters can always be recast . . . .

Because no one can act like Stewart or Shatner no matter how many manerisms they try to replicate. I'd never buy it, just like I didn't nuKirk. It was just alien to me.

PS. Those were all movies, and no continuity movies at that. When you see Picard in almost 200 episodes, it's a bit different from replacing shambolic Cloney with serious actor like Bale. Comic books vs Star Trek is too much like apples and oranges
Okay, what about Bond? Suppose somebody had decided decades ago that "no one can act like Connery no matter how many mannerisms they try to replicate." Should they have ditched the character back in the seventies?

Heck, Bela Lugosi was the definitive Dracula for generations, but then Christopher Lee came along, and Frank Langella, and Jack Palance, and Gary Oldman . . .

No actor is irreplaceable. And audiences have proven that they'll accept new actors in classic roles, sometimes over and over and over.

There have been six different SUPERMAN's in my lifetime. Another Kirk or Picard doesn't faze me!

Last edited by Greg Cox; September 30 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Greg Cox is online now   Reply With Quote