View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 09:53 PM   #182
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Heads up! MYTHBUSTERS season premiere tonight at 9 Eastern!

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
As for the "in kendo the first person to move will lose" thing. Speaking from experience in a variety of sword arts, this is definitely at least semi-true - it depends, however, on the two combatants being equally matched. Obviously an experienced combatant will beat a newbie even if he moves first. But I can certainly attest to the fact that if two equally matched kenjutsu-ka (or similar) duel, the one who moves first almost always loses. Partly because he's more likely to leave himself open in some way during the attack, and also because those arts, being arts, are taught in a way that emphasises reaction and countering, so it's second nature for the participants to respond a stimulus rather than as a first-strike.

If you put a good practitioner of Iai-do against him, OTOH, you're more likely to see the odds even out, or actually go the other way, as that's all about making a first-strike draw, rather than responding to a combat stimulus.

I wonder when the UK will be getting these episodes?
Ah, we just had this episode this week - they're going for headshots from chudan no kamae, which isn't what I expected - but they really need to re-do it with freer options on stances and moves than just the one.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote