View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 05:46 PM   #146
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
He can, and he does, as far as I'm concerned.
My DW viewing friends and I think otherwise. One particular friend pretty much nailed it when she said that all too often it feels like Moffat only writes one draft with all the usual inconsistencies of a first draft, but never bothers to do a rewrite. So, his episodes all are bursting with potential, but rarely use it to its fullest.
That's Christopher Bidmead's argument against Moffat's work as well -- it feels like a first draft. To be fair, Moffat's work isn't always a first draft; the next Christmas script went through six drafts and several blown deadlines. But Moffat has said he wants his Doctor Who work to feel like a first draft -- breathless, passionate, running from moment to moment, with no hint as to what's around the next plot twist.

Despite the logic problem of the ending that you can sail a supercarrier through, "Manhattan" didn't feel like a first draft to me. It wasn't as tight as "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "A Study in Pink," but it also wasn't as dangly as Moffat's sixth season work.
I thought Bidmead said that about RTD? Or maybe he just uses it for all modern Who writers? One wonders how many iterations the Logopolis script went through yet still included a scene where the Doctor planned to flood the Tardis in order to flush the Master out, still one of the most ludicrous moments in Who ever!

I'd agree that Angels was one of Moffat's tighter scripts.

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
My DW viewing friends and I think otherwise. One particular friend pretty much nailed it when she said that all too often it feels like Moffat only writes one draft with all the usual inconsistencies of a first draft, but never bothers to do a rewrite. So, his episodes all are bursting with potential, but rarely use it to its fullest.
Personally, from what I've seen on this forum alone, the vast majority of people who piss and moan about the show are the ones who clearly and painfully weren't paying any attention whatsoever to what was actually going on. And even when the actual story of what was going on is pointed out to them, it flies right past their heads just so they can keep ranting and raving like loons.

Say what you want about RTD, but at least he never contradicted himself.
And speaking of self-delusion...

"The Doctor really is the last of the Timelords!" <The Master shows up> "Well, okay, maybe not the last, but it's just those two!" <Gallifrey shows up in orbit> "Well, my fanboys will continue to say I never contradict myself!" <The Daleks wave from the sidelines> "Fuck."
Or even more appropriately, the whole Rose/alt universe saga. The universes are closed we can never, EVER see each other again...oops yes we can, or the whole Donna "If she remembers her head will explode" malarkey.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote