View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 04:23 PM   #140
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Why can't Moffat use on DW the same standard for good writing he uses on 'Sherlock'?
He can, and he does, as far as I'm concerned.
My DW viewing friends and I think otherwise. One particular friend pretty much nailed it when she said that all too often it feels like Moffat only writes one draft with all the usual inconsistencies of a first draft, but never bothers to do a rewrite. So, his episodes all are bursting with potential, but rarely use it to its fullest.
That's Christopher Bidmead's argument against Moffat's work as well -- it feels like a first draft. To be fair, Moffat's work isn't always a first draft; the next Christmas script went through six drafts and several blown deadlines. But Moffat has said he wants his Doctor Who work to feel like a first draft -- breathless, passionate, running from moment to moment, with no hint as to what's around the next plot twist.

Despite the logic problem of the ending that you can sail a supercarrier through, "Manhattan" didn't feel like a first draft to me. It wasn't as tight as "The Girl in the Fireplace" or "A Study in Pink," but it also wasn't as dangly as Moffat's sixth season work.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote