View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 08:21 AM   #97
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

...yeah. Not happy, Jan.

Leaving aside the angels' abilities / properties being retconned again, the ludicrousness of a Statue of Liberty-sized angel wandering around the place without anyone noticing (cool as the concept may be) and Rory just arbitrarily deciding to wander back and check out the gravestone, there's the fact the Ponds were killed off at all. I simply don't see the need. Thankfully it wasn't a Donna-style complete character assassination (don't get me started on that, btw), but I dunno - even though it was obvious to anyone they were going to be killed off, it just seems so unimaginative. There were any number of ways to remove the Ponds from the scene, and Moffat went with the death option. I'd hoped for better, even though I knew I wasn't going to get it. And for the Doctor to offhandedly remark to River at the end "Oh yeah, they were your parents, weren't they. Sorry about that" ...good grief, how pathetic. Way to make the Doctor look like a complete jerk on top of everything else.

There were things I liked. The baby angels were absolutely creeptacular (that insane giggling was brilliantly creepy), the Doctor primping for River (who'd better be back at some point) was hilarious, the whole power of love thing with the Ponds was surprisingly effective and well done by both Gillan and Darvill, and the final shot of Amelia...waiting...was genuinely moving. On the whole, though...eh. Very eh. And I'm left wondering what the point of River being Amy and Rory's daughter even was, given how rarely it's been referred to since.

I didn't much like Oswald / Oswin / whatever so I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to the next batch of episodes, but I'll give it a whirl anyway. Overall (and for the very little it's worth) I've not been overly impressed with this part season; hopefully it'll get better from here.