View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 01:12 AM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

^

First of all NuSpock and Spock Prime by all accounts should have lived nearly the same lives up until Kirk's academy days. There's no reason the Kelvin's destruction is going to effect his childhood and birth on Vulcan at all. Kirk definitely has a different childhood, the whole car theft thing seeming to be a daddy issue, but both Spocks grew up on Vulcan and by all accounts had similar careers until they met Kirk. So the new timeline really shouldn't have effected Spock's core behavior that much.

As I said, I was citing that example of how the two different characters demonstrate emotion as a relevant contrast being the occur 15 minutes apart in the movie. They're not the same situation, but can you honestly picture Nimoy's Spock raging like an emo teen like that? Or that cocky smirk and open irritation? They're not that far moved apart. It took NuKirk all of ten seconds to provoke Spock into attacking him. In TOS McCoy was baiting Spock for the whole series and never got a rise out of him.

As I said, if Quinto's potrayal of a half Vulcan was a different character, he would be interesting and compelling. But by all accounts he just doesn't act like Spock did in TOS. So I'm not really sold on the new character. If you enjoy him, that's your privilege but I really think it just takes something away from the original by pretending to be genuine when it isn't.