View Single Post
Old September 30 2012, 12:55 AM   #39
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: Spock & Spock Prime: Was the Torch Successfully Passed?

R. Star wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
And they are not exactly the same, but what they are reacting to is not exactly the same either. One Spock is reacting to the destruction of Vulcan that was caused, in part, by some of his actions, or inactions as it is. Since Nero chased him into the black hole he was pulled into, he literally brought him there to destroy a world in a reality that had nothing to do with what went down in his own. The other Spock is reacting to some crazed villain out of "nowhere" that just comes along and destroys everything, taking his mother along with. He's also reacting to a cheating, insubordinate, purposefully obnoxious and taunting Kirk right after all of that happened. I know that TOS Spock had it together and all, but you really can't say for sure how he would have responded if the tables had been turned. He probably would have lost it a little too, but then Kirk would have been supportive of him and not an ass, so, there might be your difference. All in all, it was for the good, though.

BillJ wrote: View Post
It really just portrayed the contrast between the two to me... the devastated look on Nimoy's face as Vulcan is destroyed versus Qunito's Spock screaming in rage as he strangles Kirk... it just didn't seem the same character to me.
Well there was a 130 year age gap there. I know 20 year old BillJ and the 40 year old one are two distinct people.
I just said it illustrated the difference between the two characters to have them both on screen together. ST09 and TOS weren't a 130 years apart in their years set. It would be what? 10 years at best. You can defend the differences between Shatner and Pike's versions of Kirk given the daddy issues growing up(even though dad was so important prime Kirk never once mentioned him), but by all accounts both Spocks should have had the same childhood.

20 year old R. Star and 30 year old R. Star while not exactly the same are still going to have the same core characteristics.
Yes, but you are comparing yourself to yourself in the same timeline; that's not the case with this film. Also, I think they do have some of the same core characteristics, but we didn't get to see them as much as I suspect we will because of the series of events were so out of the ordinary. TOS was about meeting strange new worlds, yes, but this movie was about twisting and mixing things into what became a strange new reality for a while. My guess is things will simmer down on that front so that the mission of exploration and possibly encountering threats indigenous to this new reality will take center stage in the next film.

I dunno, it just doesn't feel like the same character from TOS and the movies. Certainly Spock never struck me as an emo who roid rages every time a Yo mama joke gets told as he was portrayed in the movie. The other half of the time he was almost cocky which struck me as uncharacteristic too.

I found have found the Quinto Spock an interesting character in his own rights if he was playing someone else, but as Spock he just seems a watered down version at best.
It wasn't "every time" a "Yo mamma joke" was told, just the 35th time. And even then, you were dealing with a little boy who was being bullied by the Vulcan equivalent of a gang of thugs. Even a Vulcan can only take so much.

I don't think he was cocky, just slightly irritated with Kirk and his methods, which included a blatant disregard for authority and rules. Nimoy's Spock never had to deal with that to my knowledge. From what I can tell, TOS didn't bring up some of these scenarios for a true comparison, FWIW.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote