View Single Post
Old September 29 2012, 10:38 PM   #143
Christopher
Writer

Re: Did Kirk captain any ship before Enterprise?

^But that's just it -- I don't buy that Starfleet actually would use "flagship" in that vernacular, civilian sense when there's already a more proper naval usage for the term.

Also, I don't like the idea of the Enterprise being some super-special ship that's treated as superior to everything else in Starfleet. It's too fannish, insisting that people within the universe perceive it the same way we viewers do. Realistically, the Enterprise would just be one ship out of many, and no doubt there are other ships and crews who are out there doing equally heroic and extraordinary things; we just don't get to see them. And if Starfleet touted just one of its ships and crews as being the best around, wouldn't that be rather insulting to everyone else in the Fleet? Not to mention, wouldn't it make more sense for Starfleet to spread the best and the brightest throughout the whole fleet rather than concentrating them all on a single crew? The Enterprise shouldn't be the greatest ship around bar none. It should be one of many great ships and crews, at most first among equals.

Also, the E-D was just one of multiple Galaxy-Class ships, so it doesn't make sense to say it was built exceptionally large for the prestige or something. If that had been the case, wouldn't the class have been called the Enterprise Class instead?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote