Old September 29 2012, 09:44 AM   #170
Malaika
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Who likes Spock/Uhura too?

teacake wrote: View Post
UFO wrote: View Post
Malaika wrote: View Post
How did I miss this gem
it was supposed to be a bit funny but really Uhura was never allowed to get a love interest in the show, Roddenberry had wanted to explore a relationship with Spock and her but he never could. Racism was so rampant that even the Kirk/Uhura kiss (that was supposed to be between Spock/Uhura originally ) had to happen while they were forced.
Young beautiful Uhura had to get ignored just because she was black and the actress had to endure a lot of racism from the network and production. It was already a miracle that she actual was in the show. She even thought about leaving it.
Of course the only time Uhura was ever allowed to get an actual love interest it had to happen in STV when she was old and of course it had to happen while she was under the influence of Syboc who essentially used her. So she almost seduced Scotty who was her friend and rejected her advantages. This is bad taste for me and a disservice for her character. Too little and too late and too forced. (not to mention the dancing scene that would have been bad even if she was young) and then I read people that justify that crap all the while they accuse JJ and their version of Uhura saying that she was sexualized or reduced to a love interest. Talk about irony here.
Not to mention the ones that make it seems that STV is more "canon" than ST2009 when Roddenberry himself despised that movie.
Again, no wonder why they completely dropped that romance subplot in the next movies, and yet some people make it seems that it was this oh so well developed love story and they recton TOS with imaginary scenes where Uhura wanted to sex up Scotty with her eyes
I've read people actually saying this kind of things, mainly slash Kirk/Spock fans though, even funnier when the same people that retcon the Scotty/Uhura interactions (?) from TOS are the ones that negate the Spock/Uhura flirting scenes. JJ had nothing to take inspiration from, apparently, while STV writers had all these hints of Uhura's hopeless love for Scotty you're just so blind if you don't notice their great love story in all those episodes and movies prior STV.

I was going by what we have every reason to expect of the Spock character from what we see in TOS. I have explained my reasons for preferring Spock to remain true to that character...
Spock's character according to YOU that is the side of him that you choose to consider "all of him" but there are examples about TOS Spock that contradict your opinion or, more correctly, make it just your personal interpretation that isn't more valid than others or mine.
He wasn't a "monk" in the canon. He had plenty of love interest and he was obviously attracted to women. He wasn't like Kirk (he isn't in this reality either, he really just have this relationship with Uhura that they kept as a private thing for the most part) He really just never actually fell in love so he never had to deal with this kind of things. Hell, If i remember well Roddenberry said that young Spock had been a "bad guy" at the Academy where he had dated a lot of women it was in his character's background.
He had also wanted to end the show with Spock getting married.

But I think that nu!Spock himself got to the point in one lines from the ST2009 script:
to Spock prime: My future cannot be determined by your past. We are one, but not the same.

Their life is different and you can't expect them to act in the same exact way and make the same choices and have the same feelings when one, Spock prime, had never fallen in love with Uhura or anyone (he actually met her years later) he had never lost his world and his mother so young.
I don't believe in destiny. I do think that we have definite personality traits but we also are what life makes us. If alternative realities exist I'm sure that i'm not totally the same person in all of them if different events had happened to me in those other realities.
In the end, it's called alternative reality for a reason. You don't have to like it if you prefer the other Spock it's your prerogative but in terms of the story who is the "real" Spock and who is not is essentially relative.

... In particular they explain why I think nuSpock is far less likely to be "available" for a relationship with Uhura or any other woman.
I don't know what movie you watched but in the one that I watched and the script that I have read Spock does have a girlfriend. So, I guess, he had been "available" to her at one point and chose to have a relationship with this woman. Unless you think that Uhura forced him or did everything by herself (that is contradicted by the script and the writers that state the fact that they're in love and that she's his girlfriend. In the turbolift scene he did allow her to kiss him for this reason and he reciprocated the kiss. In the transport pad scene he was the one that initiated the kiss.
Uhura is not chapel.
Interesting enough the writers said that they had originally thought about a Spock/Chapel thing with her being hopelessly in love with him and him not giving her the time of the day. They changed their mind and made a totally different dynamic with Spock/Uhura because they wanted him to actually love the girl back and wanted to explore this new dynamic.

Last edited by Malaika; September 29 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Malaika is offline   Reply With Quote