View Single Post
Old September 28 2012, 08:24 PM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Insurrection as an episode...

horatio83 wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
I think it's extremely unlikely that the Baku would share their resources. They knew full well what they were sitting on, which is why they stayed there hidden, and didn't tell anyone about what they'd stumbled upon.
So what? It is their property, they can do with it whatever the hell they want. If you are militarily weak not telling the entire galaxy that you sit on a treasure seems pretty reasonable.

sonak wrote: View Post
also, comparisons to "theft" and the Klingon empire are silly. Eminent domain is a pretty common policy of even democratic governments and few think it's an example of "tyranny." If a small village were sitting on a revolutionary cure for a major disease I don't think any serious people would oppose moving them to get at the cure.
No democratic government does relocate people who sit on resources without telling them in advance and compensating them for their loss in the case they own a land or a house.

Here the Federation is not the government of the Ba'ku so all the Feds can legally do is to ask the Ba'ku to trade their resources. What they have done is to just take it from them which is criminally theft and politically imperialism.
When Europeans invaded and colonized Africa they also rationalized their greed and barbarism via pretending that they are actually doing something good for these uncivilized brutes. I am surprised to see a fellow left-winger doing the same.

What do you mean "so what?" I was responding to YOUR suggestion that the Baku would be willing to share. Judging from what we see in the movie, they seemed selfish and utterly unconcerned about the outside galaxy.

I guess we are both surprised. I'm surprised to see a fellow left-winger defend absolute property rights as a moral principle. Doesn't seem very leftist. Sure, I support property rights as a general rule, but they come second to a greater good, such as they would have in the INS scenario. That is exactly the idea behind eminent domain. If the UFP had given the Baku compensation and paid for the resettlement, would you have supported relocation in that case?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote