View Single Post
Old September 28 2012, 08:15 PM   #309
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Aragorn wrote: View Post
Jim McMahon is suffering from early-stage dementia at the age of 53 and says if he had to do it over again, he'd choose baseball.

That sounds exactly like something McMahon would say. I hope he can get some help, medical and the financial help those players are after.

Though in the end, did the NFL really hide information about concussions or did they just not know the full deal?
McMahon's life doesn't sound bad to me. Sounds like he is doing pretty well finacially. Who knows about his so called dementia.

But if he does have dementia and it is related to trauma suffered while playing in the NFL, it is a simple workers compensation matter. There are set financial benefits to be paid out for "permanent disability" and access to lifetime medical treatment for a work related medical condition.

Wenever I hear former players moaning about their current medical conditions it makes me chuckle because I know there is a lot more to the story than what they are telling the media and public. For instance, many of these guys very likely took a lump sum buyout of their workers comp benefits (including medical treatment) long ago and are now regretting it because they are still in need of treatment,

Some are represented by attorneys who are trying deperately to get their cases moved out of the workers comp arena and into the general liability arena where the payouts are substantially larger.

But don't buy the hype -- if these former players aren't getting acccess to treatment, believe me there is more to the story than what is being presented.