View Single Post
Old September 28 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile
Re: Considering starting Fringe

Takeru wrote: View Post
Elemental wrote: View Post
-Any chance this show would be up my alley?
Looking at your other favorite shows I'd say yes.

-How does it compare to your top favourite shows?
My favorite shows (at the moment) are New BSG, Veronica Mars, TNG, DS9, Farscape, Buffy, Angel and Friday Night Lights (finished shows only) and compared to them Fringe beyond season 3 doesn't hold up. I love the performances and especially seasons 2 and 3 (season 1 was kinda meh, not bad, but not nearly as great), but I despise season 4 for reasons I cannot reveal without spoiling you, let's just say that something happened that killed my interest in the show, what was must see tv before became I'll watch it if I have time tv.

Not all of it becomes important later, but some things and characters do.

I think of season 3 as the series high point and season 4 as the absolute low point, with season 5 looking even worse due to certain things happening. But that's just me, many fans still love the show, but even with me hating the later seasons I highly recommend seasons 1-3 (seasons 2-3 more than 1 but it's still entertaining).
At least I still care enough about the show to hate it and the performances are as good as before.

-Is it going to have a good opportunity to wrap up all the loose ends in its final season (nothing turns me off like an epic series that never gets to realize its conclusion)?
They went into the final season knowing it would be the last, the writer's have all the opportunities in the world to wrap it up.

So, have I ruined most of the big reveals of the show?
Nope, you know some stuff and not everything you posted is 100% correct. The parallel universe scene may look like a big reveal right now, but think about what you don't know, you saw Leonard Nimoy in a still standing WTC ... that's it. It's like starting X-Files knowing that there's a conspiracy, a cigarette smoking bad guy and aliens, without context it doesn't spoil much at all.
Thanks for the very thorough and honest response and to the others for their thoughts as well. I'm interested to hear that you've been a lot more disinterested in season 4. Is this a commonly held feeling among fans? I had checked out the tv.com to get a sense of general episode ratings and they look pretty consistent at 8-9.5 throughout.

I'm glad to hear I hopefully haven't spoiled too much, but even knowing that Josh Jackson is someone elses father bothers me a bit.

Honestly, what probably turns me off the most is probably the monster-of-the-week aspect to the first season. While I said I really liked X-Files, I should maybe clarify that I loved the mythology episodes, the MOTW could be fun enough due to the interesting cast of characters, but generally, that type of story that just showcases weird, wacky pseudo-science bores the crap out of me.

After Lost and other productions by this team however, I do put some faith into their brand. Perhaps I'll give the premiere another try or wait until the show is over and get a sense of what the general consensus is.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote