I have to go with the redheaded stepchild of the "good" ST movies, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
. Is it the best from a critical perspective? No. However, it has several things I love:
- Spock at his most realized, fully formed self.
- Kirk as a character who truly grows.
- Kim Cattrall when she was still hot.
- The most interesting depiction of Klingons in all of Trekdom.
- Cliff Eidelman's fantastic score.
- The amazing cinematography of the surface of Rura Penthe/Alaska.
It's arguably the best acted of the original 6, and it shows. I get chills down my spine whenever McCoy cries out "I tried to save him!" And Kirk pumping his fist and gritting his teeth as he proclaims "fire!" is Shatner at his most... Shatnery.