View Single Post
Old September 27 2012, 10:37 PM   #56
Knight Templar
Commodore

Re: Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

horatio83 wrote: View Post
Knight Templar wrote: View Post
I think giving children experience with controlled violence is a vital part of development.

After all, our society uses controlled violence all the time against adults in order to restrain behavior (the police).
On the contrary, the police, at least when it follows its own rules, merely uses violence as a last option ... and definitely not against the petty mischief of a child so the comparison is plain wrong. Not that I am surprised about right-wingers lusting for violence (of course with them being on the giving and not the receiving end).
I assume paddling is pretty much a last resort for most schools and parents as well.

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
Knight Templar wrote: View Post
Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post

But we have moved on so much, do we really want to step back into the days of using voilence to control a child's behaviour.
I think giving children experience with controlled violence is a vital part of development.

After all, our society uses controlled violence all the time against adults in order to restrain behavior (the police).
Children dont need to be personally on the receving end of physical voilence to understand what it is, god knows these days they have such easy access to it's be it on the Tv or internet, much much more than most of us did in our childhood.
Television and video games do not equal "experience" or "understanding" of violence.
Knight Templar is offline   Reply With Quote