View Single Post
Old September 27 2012, 10:21 PM   #70
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^Indeed. I'm very pleased at how Ezri's characterized in the book. I found myself smiling at a particular moment when, while briefing the senior staff, she throws up her hands and says, "I know, I know, it's crazy! But..."

Just to name one moment, but--through and through, Ms. McCormack has her down pat. We can believe, though she clearly is worthy of her command...she's still the Ezri Dax we know and love.

(Aside from the brief "colorful metaphors"...it's how I'd want to write for Ezri.)

Also--at last, we see Ezri going through an emotional arc. We know not just what she's thinking, but feeling. She's a flesh-and-blood character, in this book. As great and awesome a writer as Mack is--I felt something of a distance from Ezri when reading Destiny and ZSG. Ms. McCormack doesn't do that--we know Ezri, in this book.

Oh...and I didn't take Bowers's remark about Alden being a "fox" as meaning he's attracted to him, or anything. It struck me as Sam teasing Ezri on what he sees as her possibly having feelings. I doubt she does, but Sam's probably taking "My friend dated him" to mean "I (but I won't say it's me) dated him."

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; September 28 2012 at 03:21 AM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote