View Single Post
Old September 26 2012, 03:16 PM   #56
dispatcher812
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

After hearing all the hype and praise for Ms. McCormack, I was looking forward to this book. I just finished and I must say I was not impressed. I rated it an average. While it only took me less then 12 hours to read, (shorter then I expected) I did not feel this stood out more then other recent books I have read.

I enjoyed the crew of the Aventine very much. Aside from the TNG crew I think they are my second favorite so seeing them half the time was nice.

I REALLY enjoyed the scenes with the Tzenkethi. Their way of class really made sense. You know who you are and what you do. No questions. I can see why Efheny wanted to stay. It simplifies things in a very complicated universe.

As far as the convention, I liked their no BS approach to things, say what you mean, be honest.

I would have liked to see more action in this. I know this is supposed to be a political series but honestly, politics bore me. Especially now when in our own time that all we hear about. Don't get me wrong I am enjoying this series but not as much as a had hoped.

I must admit that I did not realize I had read the rest of Ms. McCormick's books until did a little cross referencing on some of the titles previously mentioned. I think in the interim before the TNG trilogy, I may re-read them in hopes to find the praise everyone mentioned.
dispatcher812 is offline   Reply With Quote