View Single Post
Old September 26 2012, 01:41 PM   #36
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Re: Paddling a 16-year-old giirl at school: is everyone stupid here?

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
And now I've read somewhere (sorry, lost the link) that the school has solved the policy violation problem by changing the policy, so that staff members of either gender may now administer corporal punishment to any student. Talk about going backwards.
For what it's worth, while I don't support corporal punishment in schools, I'm ok with this small fact. The reason there is that one gender was getting disproportionately punished because there weren't enough teachers of the other gender. If it is to be administered, it has to be done even-handedly. Now that's entirely separate from whether it should be administered. I personally think it's counter-productive at best and likely to produce greater problems in the future.

{ Emilia } wrote: View Post
Apparently this shit is quite common in the US... Check out the maps.

Sometimes I honestly can't believe the US and Europe are said to be part of the same so-called "Western World". There's more than an ocean separating us.
For what it's worth, half of Europe (including Italy) allow parents to administer corporal punishment, according to that map.