View Single Post
Old September 25 2012, 03:07 PM   #249
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile
Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

IndyJones wrote: View Post
InklingStar wrote: View Post
What a game, what an ending. Both the Packers and the Seahawks were on the receiving end of some lousy calls. Golden Tate's catch in the endzone was legit, since the tie goes to the receiver.
Um, no.

Here's the rule:

NFL Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3

If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an
opponent subsequently gains joint control.
Jennings caught the ball two handed and pulled it to his chest. Tate had one arm in there initially, and a second after they fell to the ground. The only person I've seen call that a simultaneous catch tonight is the replacement ref. Now, obviously his was the only vote that mattered...but it *was* wrong.

You'll notice in the second photo that Tate's basically just hugging Jennings. It's very sweet, but it's not like any touchdown I've seen.

After further reading, that is not the entirety of the rule.

a catch is defined as Article 3 Completed or Intercepted Pass. A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward
pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:
(a) secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
(b) touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and
(c) maintains control of the ball long enough, after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, to enable him to
perform any act common to the game (i.e., maintaining control long enough to pitch it, pass it,
advance with it, or avoid or ward off an opponent, etc.).
Note 1: It is not necessary that he commit such an act, provided that he maintains control of the ball long
enough to do so.
Note 2: If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball will not be considered a loss of
possession. He must lose control of the ball in order to rule that there has been a loss of possession.
If the player loses the ball while simultaneously touching both feet or any part of his body other than his hands
to the ground, or if there is any doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch.
Bolding by me. Jennings had the ball first, but he could not be considered "in control" because he was still in the air. At the point that Jennings hit the ground, Tate also had control of the ball. I am more convinced now that the call on the field was correct.

All the national media crying about it this morning would not be having the reaction they are if the situation were reversed and the Packers benefited from the end-game ambiguous call.