View Single Post
Old September 25 2012, 01:59 AM   #47
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: How did the Nero, his crew and ship escape Rura Penthe?

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post

Does anybody have any insight into what "Rura Penthe" means? Apart from "rura" being the Latinesque indicator that this is land of some sort, that is. Land of pain? Land of penalty? Land of the fifth sort of hell? Penthouse land?
If it's explained anywhere, it'll probably be in War and Peace (but I never did get through that one, so I can neither confirm nor deny.) Jules Verne apparently never used the name, though; it seems to have been introduced into the 20,000 Leagues story by the Disney folks who made the 1954 movie adaptation.
It's pretty damn hard to figure out what it means. Type Rura Penthe into Google, the first page is dominated by Star Trek results. Wikipedia just lists that the name was used in War and Peace, 20 000 Leagues and Trek.

For shits and giggles, I Googled Penthe on its own. The first result is for the Trek planet. The second result is this. Sadly, that's not any help at all.