View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 11:22 PM   #199
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

StewMc wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
StewMc wrote: View Post
Bit disappointing, I can only assume that the reason for that is that they don't have an uncropped version saved, and would have to rescan the negatives again? I suppose its not the end of the world, the only reason I noticed originally is because the production credits after the opening titles were so close to the bottom of the image.
Which is weird. Did they crop the image after adding the new opening titles?
Good question. If they had added them after the crop, presumably they wouldn't be as far down, unless they were using the original tape version of the episode as a kind of trace so that they appear in the same position and at the same time as the originals. But if that were the case you'd think someone would clock at that point that something major was wrong with the cropping of the new transfer. And, IIRC, not every shot is cropped is it, I think footage that has FX is uncropped?

Don't suppose we know if CBS are keeping the scanned raw footage files after they have finished each episode?
We know they're keeping them, or we wouldn't have seen images like this:

What's commonly done is that the ENTIRE Full Camera Aperture is scanned at 2K (2048 x 1556) and then they make their 1440 x 1080 cropped version from that. So, in the case of "Sins of the Father" CBS is just being stubborn about it -- refusing to re-adjust the framing for the episode. They consider it done... probably because most of the episode doesn't get any tighter than "action safe", so they feel justified in leaving it alone -- even though it's inconsistent with the VFX shots in the episode and every other episode they're doing.