View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 08:30 PM   #1610
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams, "Children of Men" writer developing fantasy drama at NBC

In his foray into American television, Oscar-nominated filmmaker Alfonso Cuarón has teamed with J.J. Abrams for a high-concept drama, which just landed at NBC with a pilot production commitment. Cuarón is set to direct the pilot, which he will co-write with Mark Friedman (Home Of the Brave). It is about a girl in possession of a great gift/powers — which will come into their own in seven years — and the man who is sprung from prison to protect her from those trying to hunt her down .
That sounds a bit like The Standard Thing, but Cuarón's involvement piques my interest. Having to wait seven years for The Big Surprise, tho...dunno about that.

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
If it's just one battlefield after another, that doesn't seem as interesting.
Depends on the battlefields. Each planet could call for a totally different kind of warfare, which in turn could mean different types of soldiers, i.e. a new cast of characters each season.
We know from Spartacus that DeKnight isn't afraid to discard most of the show's cast in one fell swoop.
Yeah I'll give it a shot. If it's very war-focused, fine by me, war stories on TV is not an overdone genre, probably because of the expense. Being sci fi in particular increases the range of story possibilities, so there's no reason they need to run out of story types and become boring. My main concern is the budget - either it looks cheap or the limited audience can't justify the budget, the classic conundrum.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote