View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 05:27 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

Re: Still no covers for Cold Equations??

Paper Moon wrote: View Post
1) It would be a major spoiler, if someone picked up book two or three before reading book one. Casual reader picks up book two, finds out Data's alive, realizes it happened in the last book, says, "Oh well, don't need to read it now, I know what happens."
Or, more likely, they go, "Wow, that happened? Now I need to read that so I can find out how and why it happened!" It's not as if the only reason you read or watch a story is to find out what events occurred. If that were the case, every story would just have an ending and nothing more. "Page 1: It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly, a shot rang out! Turns out the butler did it. The end." The reason we sit through all the stuff that comes before the ending is because that's the part that actually makes it interesting. Knowing the outcome isn't as important as knowing the process. And indeed, knowing the outcome in advance can create interest in knowing how it got that way. That's why there are so many prequels and origin stories and Young [Insert Hero Here] Chronicles.

Which is not, of course, to confirm or deny the speculation about what might happen in Book 1.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote