View Single Post
Old September 24 2012, 03:46 PM   #22
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: Is fantasy more popular than science fiction? If so why?

STJ, it's not so much a "rejection" of Enlightenment, as a recognition of it's limitations and failures. Sometimes the only thing that makes sense out of the world is to realize that it in fact does not make sense, at least within the materialistic, secularized frame of reference the Enlightenment proposes.

I'm reminded of this scene from TMP:

SPOCK: V'Ger has knowledge that spans this universe. And, yet with all this pure logic, ...V'Ger is barren, cold, no mystery, no beauty. I should have known.

KIRK: Known? Known what? ...Spock, what should you have known?

SPOCK: This simple feeling ...is beyond V'Ger's comprehension. No meaning, ...no hope, ...and, Jim, no answers. It's asking questions. 'Is this ...all I am? Is there nothing more?'
or what Mr Keating had to say after trashing the Pritcher Method of analyzing poetry in Dead Poets Society:

We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are all noble pursuits, and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
For all the technical advancement the Enlightenment has given us, it has in powerful ways taken as much or more from our spirits, reducing us to mere cogs in a vast universal machine. A love of Fantasy is a rejection of that diminishment.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote